For information on Mary Bergin, her forthcoming Whistle Tutor, Album Sales or Gig schedule (both solo and with Dordán),
Tin Whistle Tutor
This comprehensive tutorial for the tin whistle, presented in 3 volumes, is the product of many years of performing and teaching.
Volume 1 of the course consists of a Lesson Book and 2 CDs of recorded tunes and instructions. These tunes, specially selected for the techniques contained in each lesson, are recorded at a slow and a moderate pace. The instructional tracks contain verbal instructions along with demonstrations of the various techniques. Students can work in their own time and at a pace that is comfortable for them.
- Volume 1 – Beginner to Intermediate
- Volume 2 – Intermediate to Advanced
- Volume 3 – Advanced to Professional
While it is a comprehensive Tutorial, it is easy to follow. In order to make it accessible to everybody, the music is written both in staff notation and in a form of ABC notation devised by me to illustrate the ‘internal’ rhythm and the ornamentation.
The entire course is a gradual progression consisting of step-by-step sequential lessons, each one building on the previous lesson. The student, guided in this manner, achieves significant results in a very short time.
Volume 2 continues from the last Lesson in Volume 1 and has 3 CDs with more advanced tunes and techniques. Likewise, Volume 3 follows on from Volume 2 and embraces the more intricate ornamentation together with the finer points of technique and other skills necessary to elevate one’s playing from Advanced to Professional level.
This Tutorial explains the intricacies of the various dance forms (i.e. Jigs, Reels etc.) and will be of enormous benefit to a variety of people:
- Traditional musicians who wish to improve their rhythm and ornamentation – on any instrument!
- Classical musicians and those playing other forms of music who wish to understand the ‘internal’ rhythms of Traditional Irish music (Particularly as it is not played as written)
- Students and researchers of world music
- Those who do not play an instrument but who would like to understand and familiarise themselves with Traditional Irish music